Monday, December 7, 2009

London to Copenhagen - now to work!

Safely landed and found my way to the flat near Norrebroparken in Kopenhavn North, where I was kindly welcomed by Louise's parents Kim and Lisa who showed me around and even brought me flowers.
Waited an hour for luggage alongside the Ambassador and the Minister for the Environment from Algeria - just another reminder of how many nations are represented here at these climate talks. Bella Centre was shut by the time I arrived, so will go in first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) to show my accreditation papers and receive my delegate's pass, plus a travel card that gives me free access to public transport during my stay.

Apparently the Bella Centre has reached its capacity, with at least 15,000 in the international ngo contingent, wild talk of equivalent numbers of international journalists, let alone the official government representatives from 192 countries. So UNFCC may restrict numbers by issuing a quota of secondary passes to each organisation (eg. 3 of 35 in the CANA delegation)
Luckily, I never relied on open doors to the formal negotiations and my focus is firmly on networking with other communities and companies to find common ground and share local solutions. I won't be bored! Check out the program for the so-called 'side events' and the 'cultural program'.

Media coverage is intense, from a special dedicated edition of the International Herald Tribune (the Global Edition of the New York Times) to a most remarkable common front page editorial published 7/12/09 in 56 newspapers around the world in 20 languages including Chinese, Arabic and Russian. I was moved to put a link here and encourage you to share it. I've also started an information page on the CEFE website where I'll put media reports and other information items

1 comment: